Sunday, November 18, 2012

Indoor Orchid Success


Phalaenopsis "the moth orchid"

             
Orchid are notorious murder victims by gardeners and people who receive them as gifts (like me). I would like to think that I have a green thumb, specifically when it comes to an orchid that I received as a gift in June. The splendid delicate, purple orchid has despite its elegance has proven a hearty addition to my plant family, and has continued to bloom from June to the present (mid November.)

So am I just lucky? Is the light in my dining room here in Portland, Oregon just right? Does my orchid get just enough water from the ice cubes I place in its pot? I did some research and found some helpful tips for growing orchids indoors and also found that the conditions in my Oregon home are quite pleasing for orchids.

My orchid lives on my dining room table near a large north facing window. Experts suggest growing orchids near eat-west facing windows but not too close to the window-orchids get cold, they should be kept in 60-80 degrees temps when blooming indoors. If you keep and orchid on a window sil move it at night when temperatures drop.

Bright light, but not direct sunlight-welcome to a nice day in Portland, Oregon! The grey day light here in Oregon is on my side, it is bright but not too intense in my dining room where my orchid lives perched on a table.

Since June, I water my orchid with 3 ice cubes placed in the pot when potting medium feels bone dry, now that it’s November and there is less humidity in the air, I plan on watering  (ice cubing) a bit more often. Experts suggest placing orchids on wet gravel in trays and using a mister to give flowers some refreshment now and then.

These plants need moist air. Placing pots on wet gravel in trays is a good idea. Keep 1/2 inch of water in the gravel....this will evaporate and provide humidity. Using a mister to give your plants an occasional spritz will also provide the moisture your plants need.

Air circulation is important. Open windows when the weather is warm, or place a small fan in the growing space.

What kind of indoor plants thrive in your home? Any orchid lovers out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment