Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Really Good Teryaki Chicken Lunch



A Really Good Lunch

The other day, I spied some delicious looking teryaki chicken take out that I friend had ordered, she asked “want some?”

I did want some, but declined the offer-wanting to be polite. Since then, I had been craving something just like my friend’s take out. 


Using a wok, chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, and a simple teriyaki sauce, I made an excellent take out-like, high protein lunch for myself. 
First, I bought chicken breasts- they were on sale, cut them in cubes; put the chicken in the wok with a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil.Whenever I use my wok I think,

“Why don’t I use this more often?”

Wok cooking is fast, the high heat sears meat quickly locking in the flavor. The chicken cooked in 4-5 minutes, after, I removed it from the wok so I could cook the broccoli florets and mushrooms. 

After about 4 minutes the mushrooms and broccoli-my favorite super food, were cooked to firm yet chewable perfection.  It was all coming together, the chicken put back in the wok with the broccoli just waiting for the sauce. 

Making teriyaki sauce at home is easier than I thought it would be. After perusing the internet for recipes, I decided to concoct my own sauce using the bare minimum ingredients suggested in recipes on the web.

Bare Minimum Teriyaki Sauce
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cold water
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Whisk and toss with ingredients in wok until warm.
Serve over rice.


There are a lot of great teriyaki sauce recipes out there that will rival your favorite restaurant’s version. Next time I make teriyaki sauce, I’m going to add pineapple juice and ginger then use the mixture as a beef marinade.

What will you use your sauce for? What kind of ingredients will you try?

No comments:

Post a Comment